Netherlands X-omics InitiativeGlobally renowned Dutch leaders in the field of genomics, proteomics, metabolomics and data integration & analysis join forces to realize the Netherlands X-omics Initiative. The initiative will realise a truly integrated X-omics research infrastructure across the Netherlands that enables researchers from universities, academic hospitals and companies to answer their questions by:
- pushing technological boundaries in each omics field by improving sensitivity, coverage, and quality of analysis,
- studying smaller sample volumes and larger sample numbers at reduced costs,
- integrating data from different omics approaches,
- providing direct access to the most advanced omics facilities in the world.
- BBMRI-NL – The Biobanking and BioMolecular resources Research Infrastructure - Netherlands – represents over 200 biobanks in the Netherlands that facilitate studying population-based cohorts. In the last decades, BBMRI-NL has collected valuable phenotypic and molecular data on over 1,000,000 Dutch individuals and a catalogue of available phenotype data is available here. The X-omics cores and nodes will closely collaborate with BBMRI-NL to provide researchers with both well-defined cohorts and available data collections (role BBMRI-NL) and the tools to assess biological samples at a much more comprehensive and detailed molecular level (role X-omics).
- ELIXIR-NL, the Dutch node of the European Life Sciences Infrastructure for Biological Information, is setting up standard 'rules' on data-sharing, provides the data-sharing infratructure and accomodates virtual workspaces. The infrastructure guides the full research data lifecycle, from data acquisition to publication and data re-use. ELIXIR interacts with X-omics on three levels:
- Cloud (data storage) orchestration with user interfaces (findable)
- Data orchestration (interoperable), access, and publication (accessible)
- Tool orchestration and application store (re-usable)
- Health RI, an interconnected data infrastructure for Dutch personalized medicine and health research. This facility was designed by the Dutch Techcentre for Life Sciences, together with ELIXIR-NL, BBMRI-NL, EATRIS-NL, NFU, VSNU and Health-Holland and is supported by 60+ stakeholders.
- Bioscopy, a multi-disciplinary research ambition towards mapping molecular and structural processes in cells, to elucidate cell function and its relation to human biology and function.